Wednesday 2 June 2010

Sam enchanted evening

I was collected yesterday at the end of a very wet and dispiriting day by my gorgeous neice Sam. Never was a lift so needed or so gratefully accepted.
At one point the rain was so bad that I was merely looking for a tree to stand under so that I could assess my options. I found one and, once sheltered I quickly realised that the building alongside was a cafe, heaven. While in there, drying off over a large cup of tea, the rain actually stopped and I started back on the road again.
While the weather was good I didn't dare stop, passing several pubs and cafes. I reckoned that I would stop somewhere if the rain came back.
Of course, when it did rain again I couldn't find a stopping place.
When I arrived at Piercebridge I had arranged to meet at the Carlbury Arms, this was closed so I walked an extra half mile to the George hotel, overlooking the river Tees. I ordered a pint of Black Dog Brewery Schooner and got changed into dry clothes. Then I tried to phone Sam to tell her of the change of plan, no luck, no signal. No one was willing to let me use a phone with a signal so I drank up, picked up my gear and headed back the way I came.
Still, it all worked out well in the end and I had a good evening with Al, Karen, Sam and Frankie.
Sent using BlackBerry® from Orange

3 comments:

  1. More rain - they're talking about a drought in the NW this Summer!! A geat opportunity to rinse out your smalls on-the-go!! Great picture above Steve - you're in good company once again and Alan has agreed to walk "at least" one day with you!!
    Keep it going!!! Am off to Cumbria tomorrow for the 5 day Cumbria Way - Oh, and there's a beer festival where we're staying for 2 nights........how coincidental!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Imagine not letting you use the phone - that wouldn't have happened in Scotland! All set now for good weather for the next 3 days. Visitors all away now so I'm back on my diet - no alcohol and no sticky buns until I lose the 3 kilos I put on over the last 6 weeks! Enjoy your rest day. Janet x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Forecast is good Steve. You will get more good days than bad in all respects. Impressive mileages covered even on bad days.

    ReplyDelete