Thursday 15 April 2010

Blisters galore!

Despite my reservations this morning I forced myself to go through with another walk home from Birmingham, this time making sure that I knew the way.
I started in the full knowledge that every step would be painful, and I wasn't disappointed. I ended up hobbling but triumphant and with blisters on blisters. Still it proved that determination can get you through. A pint of Hobsons Mild in the Coach and Horses did help.
Just have to be determined for 11 weeks.
Two things did amuse me, firstly that its now taking a good half hour to tape up my feet before I can start causing me to miss the train to Brum. It seems that as I get older it takes longer to do most things apart from comb my hair.
Secondly, I listened to Jack Dee's autobiography while walking, this one was in the right order and I laughed out loud at a few points, getting strange looks from people on passing canal boats.
Donations continue to come in to both charities, many from people who I dont recognise, so thanks to you all - its a great incentive to think that while I'm out walking people are being kind enough to donate.
In case you missed them these are the two just giving pages

http://www.justgiving.com/SteveHaresnape  Support our Soldiers
http://www.justgiving.com/Steve-Haresnape  Alzheimers Society

A note for Sandy, maybe I can get over to you one day and try some of the Lake Taupo walk with you.
  

1 comment:

  1. There are thousands of great walks we could plan to do. I like the thought of the Heaphy track around the Nelson area in the South Island...wait til your blisters heal though! Or maybe even the Milford track...
    Better do it before I get too old though. I fear my body may not be aging as gracefully as I would like it to.

    ReplyDelete